THE raging fire reduced the wheelchair to rubble and burned Atholekonke Nongadla (10) to death.
But nothing else in the shack in Bekkersdal near Randfontein, Gauteng, was damaged.
Atholekonke’s mother, Nosisi Nongadla (27), said she went to an ATM on Friday before the fire started.
Nosisi said she left her boyfriend, Tebogo Khumalo (36), to look after her son, who was disabled.
“I was not far away when the fire started,” Teboho told Daily Sun .
“This fire shocked me. Nothing else in the shack was burned.”
Her neighbours said they were surprised to learn that flammable items such as newspapers did not burn.
Bekkersdal police spokeswoman Sergeant Linki Lefakane told Daily Sun a stove was left on while the child was inside the shack.
But Teboho said: “The stove was not on. Even if it was on, why did the curtain and papers close to the stove not get burned?”
Resident Refiloe Ratele said: “This incident has shocked us.
“I think it was vutha.
“The police took pictures of this strange fire.”
Nosisi is asking for help to bury her beloved son. Funeral arrangements have not been finalised.